Monday, May 20, 2013

May 20, 2013

What's Poppin' Family?:
Yo, that is so sweet that Elder Oaks came to the promised land of Fallon, Nevada! That is sick, that doesn't happen that often, what a great experience. Also, way big ups to President Williams on the inviting some recent converts to the meeting beforehand. I'm not sure what the statistics are on that, but I'm sure its a pretty high retention rate for recent converts who get to personally meet and listen to an Apostle. Haha, that is so cool. I'm glad that you all got to hear Elder Oaks. I like him because he is really direct. His talk in October on children was sweet. I always imagine the Quorum of the 12 kind of throwing all the really tough topics to Elder Oaks and Elder Holland due to their incredible power and eloquence when they speak. I would guess that Elder Christofferson is in training to take on that position as well someday soon.
 
I'm so glad to hear that all is going well at home. Have a great last week of school, Momma. Sounds like the marathon training is going really well. Keep up the good work in everything.
 
This week in Tancol was ward conference. It was a really good turnout, it was the highest attendance that we've had since I got here, like 120 or 130 I would guess. Between the two sets of Elders there were like 30ish less actives in church, 3 received callings, one is going to get the Melchizedek priesthood and also we had Paloma's baptism and confirmation this weekend. It was a really successful weekend all in all. Things are on the way up in Barrio Tancol and in all of Mexico really. In the last quarterly report of the church, throughout all of Mexico, church attendance was up 6%. That is ridiculous! There are a million members of the church here in Mexico, so a 6% rise means that an average of 60,000 more members attend church here in Mexico this last quarter each week! How sweet is that?
 
I had a really good first week with Elder Fernandez, he is a really good Elder and now that I'm not the only Zone Leader, it's also fun to share ideas and work together on things for both the area and the zone. Oh another cool bit of news: Zona Chairel is getting 4 new missionaries tomorrow, a bunch of people finally got their visas so our zone is getting bigger which will be really good. In these next two changes, the whole mission is going to get a lot bigger! Only 6 missionaries go home between now and September and like 30ish arrive so there are going to be lots of new areas opening up! It's such an exciting time to be a missionary, the work is progressing everywhere in the world as never before. The Lord is truly hastening his work.
 
I started reading the New Testament along with the Book of Mormon this week. I've never read the New Testament all the way through, but I'm reading 4 pages a day, which will get me finishing it on the 15th of September, and then I'm going to read the D&C at the same pace to finish both before I come home. I'm also reading 9 pages in the BofM everyday which will help me complete my New Year's resolution to read it 4 times this year. I also did what Dad told me and started setting some goals for 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, after the mish and for my life. I've got some really good ones, some that are going to be REALLLLY hard, but really good I think.
 
Well, it's been another incredible week. This week I don't really know why, but 2 Nephi 31:10 really impacted me. It's really so true. I love you all so much and I pray for you all daily. Have a great week and keep doin' work back home. Tell the LeBlancs that I'll be praying for Mitchell. #143 #GMC$ #JakeHeaps
 
Love,
Elder Stockard

No comments:

Post a Comment