Monday, October 21, 2013

October 21, 2013



Hey Famileeee:

Yo, so I hope that you all are enjoying the fall season back in the USA because there is like no such thing here in Mexico, hahaha. It has stayed pretty hot all day everyday here in Huejutla. But it has been a dope week here in la Huasteca, that's for sure. Sounds like it's been a pretty solid one back in Fallon and Provo and wherever else y'all be at as well. I'm just so happy to be down here in Huejutla and still be learning and teaching the gospel everyday.

So the region of Mexico that I'm in is known as La Huasteca. Its a really unique subculture that's found only here in this part of Mexico. La Huasteca covers parts of 5 states here in Mexico: Hidalgo, Veracruz, San Luis Potosi, Puebla, and Queretero and it's an indigenous culture with great food and lots of native languages and dialects. It's a really cool part and Huejutla is like the flagship little pueblo of the Huasteca region. Here in Mexico they don't celebrate Halloween but they celebrate el Dia de los Muertos (day of the dead). Here in la Huasteca they have like an extended and really big Day of the Dead festival and holiday called Xantolo. Xantolo is a day in which they remember their ancestors that have already passed away and commemorate their lives. The traditional food for the day is tamales, hot chocolate, and sweet bread. People are starting to get ready for the day and it sounds pretty cool. I'm excited to see it. 

As far as the work, it continues to progress. David couldn't go to church this week for work but la Familia went and we also found a bunch of new investigators that seem promising this week as well. Elder Dominguez and I have been surprised at how much the Ward Counsels have progressed in the short time that we have been trying to work with them. The Lord has really started to hasten his work. This week Elder Dominguez and I were able to have a coordination meeting with President Jordan, President Ramirez (his counselor that's in charge of the district) and President De Santiago the District Pres here. Things are on the way up here in la Huasteca and there are some big plans. Needless to say, it's a privilege to be a missionary at this time in the history of the world.

In other news, the Internet cafe that we write in is right in front of a Junior High. As I sit here writing you, a bunch of kids are trying to get me to talk to them in English. I just gave them the best, "Hi, how are you?" that I could muster and for my efforts I received nearly a standing ovation. Hahaha the funny things that happen in Mexico.

Well, I love you all. I hope you all know that. I pray for you all and love hearing how happy you are. Keep up the great work back and home. The Hubbard family is especially in my thoughts and prayers and I trust that all will be well. Have a great week! 

Love,
Elder Stockard

No comments:

Post a Comment