Wednesday, September 18, 2013

September 18, 2013

[P-Day this week was backed up by two days because of Hurricane Ingrid.]

EYYYY YOOO:
So it's been pretty much straight dope to be down here in Mexico this week cuz hurricane Ingrid has been doing work all over the place.  I don't think I've ever been so soaked in my entire life.  So I'll break it down for y'all. 

So yesterday we were teaching a lesson with our Branch Pres at like 2ish.  As we were finishing up the rain started to come pretty hard.  He offered to give us a ride to our next appointment and on the way it just got like crazy hard the rain.  Elder Gonzalez and I, not the type to be easily discouraged, thanked him for the ride and got out of the car to go trek through the rain.  We found ourselves walking in what was once a dirt road towards the appointment, but what was now quickly becoming a river.  It was seriously nuts.  After the appointment we went to eat with La Familia De Santiago, the District President and his family.  There is where I learned the practical reality of what a flash flood is.  We were eating in their covered outdoor kitchen and it was raining one minute, and literally the next the whole house was filling with water.  That obviously put a kink in my desires to eat the carne asada that we had just blessed, as we quickly turned all our attention to running into and saving everything from their house by taking it to their upstairs rooms.  It's a good thing that we were there because between President, Chucho (their son), Elder Gonzalez and I we were able to save all their possessions before the water ruined them. But our relief for having saved their stuff was minimal because we found that the house continued to fill with water!  I was so stunned by how quickly the flood came.  Living in Fallon, flash floods were never really a problem, but this flood literally came out of nowhere.  It was so cool to see though, as not only us and the De Santiago family worked to clean the water out of their house, but literally their whole neighborhood was there helping out!  It was so cool and they came together so fast to be able to do it.  All these people from different houses that were safe, came quickly to the aid of their friends and neighbors, it was so cool to see.  We were able to save and clean their house and two hours later we sat down to finish eating as if nothing had ever happened, haha.

Besides that, the work is going well.  Today are transfers and my friend Elder Gonzalez is outta here.  My new companion is named Elder Dominguez!  He is a total Chief.  He has been a Zone Leader in another zone right now and I'm excited to work with him.  We were in Victoria together so it should be fun.  The time is flying by and I couldn't be happier to be a missionary.  There is literally nothing that makes me happier.  I think I wrote this a few weeks ago, but I analyzed it and I think that I am literally happy 98% of the time as a missionary.  There is like no room for sadness.  It's the greatest work, the most fulfilling thing I've ever done.  The best part is that its ALL true.  Thank you all for being example to me and know that I love you all.  #143 #JakeHeaps

Love,
Elder Stockard 

No comments:

Post a Comment